Royal Philips Electronics is a main electronics company focusing on healthcare and well-being. In healthcare, Philips’ innovation revolves around improving the quality and efficiency of healthcare through a focus on care cycles. Central to care cycle thinking is a patient-centric approach that optimises healthcare delivery for all the major diseases. In the Philips Healthcare (PH) sector, over 12% of systems sales are invested in R&D. Philips combines its expertise in medical technology with clinical know-how of its customers to produce innovative solutions that meet not just the needs of individual patients, but which also enable healthcare professionals to work faster, more easily and more cost-effectively. While PH has a large global organisation, in the Netherlands more than 3000 people work at PH, of which 1000 in R&D. Sales of PH’s total sector amounted to e 9,5 B in 2013. Philips is globally number one in medical diagnostic imaging and patient monitoring. PH participates in the Mantis project with Business Group Imaging Systems (IS), which is responsible for the imaging equipment, i.e., MRI, CT, X-Ray, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound. The IS Customer Services department of Imaging Systems is involved, working on the implementation of an overall service strategy. In the Mantis project PH will focus on the interventional X-ray equipment and MR equipment. The Business Innovation Units MR and interventional X-Ray will participate with their customer services and R&D departments. At PH in Best the BIU Interventional X-Ray is responsible for marketing, service, development and manufacturing of interventional X-ray systems used in the area of cardiac or vascular medical diagnosis and intervention (e.g. “dotter” treatment, orthopedic surgery). Its customers are hospitals and university medical centers. Research and innovation of the BIU focus on software, (digital) electronics and mechatronics. The other PH department in the project develops complete MRI scanners. It focuses on the development of magnets, coils, hardware, mechanics and software for data acquisition, serviceability, patient administration and image viewing. Development is done in close cooperation with clinical scientists, applic- ation specialists as well as research institutions inside and outside PH, including many renowned hospitals. PH is a leading innovator in the area of reliable MR imaging. It’s MR multi-channel functionality improves image quality and accelerates scanning of brains and other anatomies, reducing scan times for patients and making life easier for the MR operator. Specific examples are the introduction of parallel imaging (SENSE) to speed up imaging and reduce image artefacts and the introduction of Multi-Transmit to reduce spatial variation. More information on PH can be found at www.medical.philips.com.
Relevant Expertise and Role in the project:
- Philips allows the research partners to use the log data (and specific work order data) for this research.
- Philips indicates to the research partner the business-relevant diagnostic topics
- The research partners performs their research aiming to come up with relevant diagnostic rules/predictors.
- If the research partner is successful, Philip can use the results of the work
- In several Mantis deliverables, the research partner and Philips cooperate on the same deliverable. Typically either one of them has the lead, and the other contributes.
- We will have to link the work of the research partner to either iXR or MRI data, or both.
- Philips will develop a framework for applying the research on industrial use cases
- Philips and the research partners will provide prototypes that validate the result of the research on industrial use cases